It takes a special team to make it to the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA tournament four out of five years, but this Villanova Team has done it with their 89-69 beatdown of UCLA. The 'Cats gave it to the Bruins but didn't offer them any Vaseline. In my opinion, this is the best game Villanova has played in the Jay Wright era. Reggie Redding was simply outstanding today by scoring 13 points, grabbing six boards, dishing out six assists and getting six steals. Dante Cunningham and Dwayne Anderson each had double doubles. Cunningham finished with 18 points and ten rebounds and Anderson had 10 Points and 11 rebounds. All in all, six Villanova players scored in double figures and Shane Clark came close with eight points. Anyway you slice it, this game was a beatdown of epic proportions.. Once Villanova took the lead, they never looked back. The Villanova players set the tempo of the game and made it a slugfest that UCLA's group of finesse players couldn't keep up with. Along with the Villanova players outplaying the UCLA players, Jay Wright thoroughly outcoached Ben Howland because the 'Cats kept breaking the press that the Bruins were attempting to apply with tremendous ease. While it's great to make it to the Sweet Sixteen, I pray to god that Villanova comes out next game with the same fire that they did in this game.
By The Numbers
- 28- This season's win total, Tying the school record
- 100- The total number of wins for this Senior Class, another school record.
- 1,572- Scottie Reynolds' career point total after today's 11 point effort. Scottie is now 428 points short of 2,000 and 671 short of Kerry Kittles' School Record. His career point total ties him with Harold Pressley for 18th all time in school history.
- 176- Jay Wright's win total since arriving at Villanova.
- 4- Wins needed to be champions.