- Last Season- Last season the cats made a run all the way to the quarterfinals of the playoffs where they were beaten by a team led by superman. They return the core of that team including the starting quarterback, running back, four players on the offensive line and two of the three starting receivers. In total, 16 starters return, including the punter.
- Matt Szczur- I've been watching Villanova football for over ten years and there has only been one player to come close to the excitement provided by Brian Westbrook. His name is Matt Szczur. Szczur accounted for touchdowns rushing, returning kicks, receiving and passing last year. He's the best special teams player on the team and also is one hell of a baseball player (he was drafted by the Dodgers out of high school.)
- The Delaware Game- Villanova and Delaware is a "rivalry" I use quotes because its not really viewed as one by anyone but the most hardcore of Villanova fans. The 'Cats are on a three game win streak against the Blue Hens including beating current Baltimore Ravens Quarterback Joe Flacco in his Junior and Senior seasons. This season, Delaware has yet another transfer quarterback who has big things on the horizon in former Penn State Nittany Lion Pat Devlin. Delaware always outnumbers Villanova in fans at this game, so if you go to one game.. make it the UD game.
- We're Fucking GOOD- Every single preseason poll issued so far has the 'Cats in the top 5 and if we beat temple this year at Lincoln Financial Field to start the season, we could very well be the number one team in the country a couple weeks into the season.
- Defense- Villanova used to pride itself in its offense, but the past two seasons, we've used an attacking, blitzing style of defense that absolutely kills a teams running game. With only a couple of losses on the defensive side of the ball, look for the defense to make another stride in the right direction.
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Soapbox: Five Reasons to go to Villanova Football Games This Season
Yes, Villanova has an incredible tradition of basketball and are on a hot streak that doesn't appear to be cooling down any time soon. The football team at Villanova has built up a pretty decent tradition as well. I know we aren't top flight "1-A" or "FBS", but The CAA brings a pretty exciting breed of football right to the Main Line. Of course the most visible example of our prowess on the gridiron is a certain All-Pro Eagles Running Back by the name of Brian Westbrook. If you dig back deeper, there is Pro Football Hall of Famer Howie Long of course. Attendance at our football games is shitty at best so I thought I'd try to convince all six of our readers to attend some games this coming fall and give five reasons why you should attend.