Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spoiled Fan Alert: It Feels Weird Watching a Sweet Sixteen Without Villanova

Sucess is a bitch sometimes.  I'm watching Syracuse play Butler and I feel a profound sense of emptiness.  It's gotten to the point where I expect to see Villanova make it to at least the Sweet Sixteen.  I don't know why I feel this way considering they had never made it that far from the day of my birth until 2005, but now I feel like we had an awful season whenever we don't.  I guess another factor in feeling this way is that I'm old enough to realize the Villanova Hype Machine within the Philadelphia Media whenever we are good.  That hype is fueled by the fact that Villanova has surpassed The 76ers as Philly's pro basketball team (for better or worse.)  I never want to be like a UNC or Kentucky fan who wants the coach to be fired whenever the team doesn't meet expectations, but I never want to be complacent with the NIT and losing early in the NCAA Tournament either.  What is the happy middle ground for yearly expectations?  I tend to have very low expectations at the beginning of a season until Villanova beats a few cupcakes by 20 points, at which point I tend to get into (irrational) arguments as to why they are better than the team ranked number one at that juncture.  Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get over the fact that my school has a fucking awesome basketball team and stop whining about their unprecedented success.

While you're thinking about what I said, take a look at some Gus Johnson Mad Libs.

No comments:

Post a Comment