Monday, March 22, 2010

Villanova Player by Player Season Wrapup: Scottie Reynolds

After four years on the Main Line it's hard to picture a game at The Pavillion without Scottie Reynolds.  I've been regularly attending Villanova games since 1995 so I've been around for Kerry KittlesAlvin WilliamsAllan Ray, Randy Foye and Curtis Sumpter but never have I seen the student section so readily embrace a player as they embrace Scottie.  Scottie has never been the biggest or the fastest player on the floor but he makes up for his lack of size with fierce determination, a huge heard and a set of brass balls. 
I remember exactly where I was when I read that Scottie had committed to Villanova which offset the sense of loss I felt when Kyle Lowry (who for the record I always felt lukewarm about) went to the NBA.  What I didn't know while I was sitting in graphic arts class during the final period of a beautiful May day in 2006 was that I was reading about a guy who would leave Villanova four years later as one of the most greatest players in school history.  Scottie endeared himself to the crowd for his all out play and his selfless attitude and maximization of his output despite his lesser athleticism.  He didn't care if he scored four points or 40 points but one thing was for sure, that if the game was on the line, he wanted the ball in his hands which is a reason why he is the complete opposite of Kittles.
While Scottie's season did not end the way any of us wanted, the only way to truly appreciate him is to look at the numbers.
  • 2,222 career points, second all time at Villanova.
  • 472 career assists, seventh all time.
  • 203 career steals, fourth all time.
  • During his career at Villanova, The 'Cats won 99 games.
  • Scottie's career included only two losses at The Pavillion and none since his sophomore year.
  • One Final Four
  • Two Sweet Sixteens
  • No association with Kelvin Sampson.
Behold Scottie's Ultimate Legacy:

No comments:

Post a Comment