Monday, April 19, 2010

Man Who Shot Former Villanova Lacrosse Player to Stand Trial

Gerald Ung, a 28 year old Temple Law student charged with shooting former Villanova Lacrosse player Eddie DiDonato will stand trial for attempted murder.  There a few things that really bother me about this case:
  1. The people who are coming to Ung's defense by saying he was "acting in self defense" are the same exact people who say that guns should be banned.  Pick a side and stay there. 
  2. Ung's lawyer, Jack McMahon royally fucked the Philly judicial system about ten years ago by making a tape on how to exclude blacks from jury pools.
  3. How do you shoot someone five times in self defense?
  4. Isn't it illegal to carry a gun in an impaired state?
  5. Why would you live somewhere where you felt it necessary to carry a gun?
I personally hope they lock this guy up and throw away the key. 

2 comments:

  1. 6 times.. even better

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a few things that really bother me about your points:

    1. Yes, people should pick a side. I side with self defense, as banning guns is in contradiction with the 2nd Amendment.
    2. Why are you judging Ung based on who his lawyer is? Does that mean that we should judge Eddie because his family hired one of Philly's biggest PR firms to be their spokesperson?
    3. You shoot someone 5-6 times in self-defense when the individual is still attacking you after being shot 4 times (which the video clearly shows). I've seen insurgents be shot 4-5 times with assault rifles and still continue to attack (and no, I'm not likening Eddie to an insurgent; I'm simply pointing out the physics/biology of the situation). It all depends on shot placement, not quantity.
    4. Although it is not advised, it is not illegal to carry a concealed weapon in PA while impaired.
    5. 2nd Amendment arguments aside, Philly is a dangerous city, and it's not practical for everyone to live in the nice, safe suburbs and commute every day. This decade, Philadelphia averaged approximately 350 homicides per year. In the 1990's , it was closer to 600 per year. Carrying a weapon for self defense in a city that dangerous is justified. And yes, by quoting homicide rates, I know I've opened myself up to arguments of "because Ung was carrying a gun, Eddie almost became a statistic." However, I said what I said because of the question being posed.

    When it's all said and done, I really do wish Eddie the speediest of recoveries. Considering all of the good things I've heard about him, I don't think that he's the type of man who would have beaten Gerald to death. However, at the time, Gerald had no way of knowing that, and as an individual who was severely outnumbered and outmatched, and who was being threatened, accosted, and pursued, I understand why he did what he did. I believe that a jury will find Gerald not guilty on all charges.

    ReplyDelete