Monday, January 24, 2011

My KenPom Mea Culpa

Embarrassing
At around this time last season, I posted something moronic that effectively dismissed KenPom rankings.  If you look at the comments of the post, I was (rightfully) slammed in the comments by a bunch of trolls who seemed to have a difficult time realizing that I had posted it months before.  In an example of blatant homerism, I was unable to see that last season's Villanova team was fundamentally flawed defensively and that it was not going to get any better.

Well now is time for me to make things right.  My contempt for KenPom rankings last year was mainly based on three things:
  1. How high Duke was in KenPom's rankings throughout all of last season.
  2. Ranking the ACC ahead of  the Big East.
  3. How undervalued I felt Villanova was in the rankings.
Hindsight being 20/20, those rankings were 100 percent correct in forecasting both an early exit for VU, the hype surrounding the Big East was indeed hype, and glory for the Blue Devils.  The whole post was stupid, and I was wrong.  Last season proved to me that KenPom rankings have validity as a point of reference in the same way that sabermetrics are valid gauges of performance in baseball.  We should not see this as the gospel truth, but it does stand up well on its track record, and people should look past that before dismissing it as something nerdy as i so stupidly did last season.

3 comments:

  1. Cool move. Good on ya writing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I respect you for being willing to admit that you were wrong a year ago.

    Thanks for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with the other commenters. Great job.

    ReplyDelete