Saturday, May 28, 2011

Who Will Replace Chidozie Ekweozor?

I have now heard from several sources that Villanova offensive tackle Chidozie Ekweozor blew out his knee recently. This news does not bode well for a Villanova offensive line that was already a major question after the graduations of Ben Ijalana and Brant ClouserChidozie was one of the starters on my post spring depth chart, and I wonder if his replacement is even on the roster yet.

Here are some candidates on the current roster (no freshmen):

Donald Davis- A tall defensive tackle who has had the misfortune of being lost in the shuffle at that postion. Davis is somewhat lean, but he's athletic enough to play defensive end and strong enough to play defensive end, plus I'm sure he has relatively long arms. I had heard somewhere that he will be switched to offense next season.

Likelihood of Davis starting at tackle? 30%*

Josh Polonio- Not as tall as Davis, but much stouter. In my post spring depth chart, I projected him as one of the starting guards, but now I see him as more of a tackle, simply because of the pinch they're in.

Likelihood of Polonio starting at tackle? 20%

Here's Polonio's high school film (as a tackle)



Ryan Bennett- I don't even know if Bennett will be on the roster next year, but he has always been on the depth chart for one reason or another, so he may have a chance at the position. My only memory of him from the past season was that he had a large cast on his hand and that i thought his jersey number (96) was unusual for an offensive lineman.

Likelihood of Bennett starting at tackle? 10%

Newcomer (Transfer/Freshman)- I think the transfer is perhaps the most attractive option. Hopefully the staff can find an offensive lineman from an FBS school that is good enough to be a stop gap until the cavalry arrives in the next recruiting class. There are also a few decent options from the recruiting class of 2011 that could be considers.

Likelihood of a Newcomer starting at tackle? 40%

*These percentage values are simply wild guesses just so I could assign an arbitrary numeric value to these.. I have no inside information on this whatsoever.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think Bennett was given a fifth year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have no fear. RHINO will be there!

    ReplyDelete