Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Music Tuesday: Bill Withers

Bill Withers is best known for a song that I will not include here because everyone knows it, and because I don't think it's his best song, or even in his top three, but that's all subjective on my part. For a little background, Withers, who was born an raised in West Virginia was making toilet seats for Jumbo Jets when his demo tape was discovered by Sussex Records. In 1971, his first album Just as I Am came out featuring the tracks Grandma's Hands and Ain't No Sunshine, the latter of which won him a Grammy.

First up is Use Me, perhaps my favorite Bill Withers song. I love the sheer simplicity of it.


Next (after the jump) is  Ain't No Sunshine. Fun fact- he says "I know" 26 consecutive times at one point in this song, and for some reason it works.

Grandma's Hands is perhaps best known by people under 40 as the song sampled by BLACKstreet in their single  No Diggity.


Finally, an upper in Lovely Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment