Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Time To Temper Expectations a Bit For Matt Szczur

First off, let me preface this by saying that I'm a huge fan of Matt Szczur, and I hope he has a long, fruitful Major League career. However, talk from Villanova fans and Cubs fans about him making an impact in the Majors in the very near future is simply misguided. One thing that cannot be overlooked is the fact that Szczur has yet to have a single plate appearance in Advanced-A, and he played good, but not great in Lo-A. I know that I'm not an expert, or a scout, but I do know that he has yet to make the biggest jump in the entire Minor Leagues: Hi-A to AA. 

My advice is simple: wait until Szczur makes about 100 plate appearances in Daytona until you get excited because a lot can happen in the minor leagues, and most players never make it. Only four years ago, former Villanova pitcher Kevin Mulvey was once viewed as a rising star in the Mets organization, and now he's a middling AAA pitcher in his third organization.

Just something to chew on.

No comments:

Post a Comment