We have experienced an unprecedented number of weather-related closings. As of February 12, 2014 Villanova University has cancelled 6 class days which include a Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and two Wednesdays.
In consultation with the Academic Deans, we decided to provide the greatest flexibility for faculty and students to make-up cancelled classes. This plan will not interfere with Spring Break, Easter Break and graduation in May. Faculty may use two options:
1. Schedule make-up classes on Sundays in order to offer classroom/lab teaching possibilities which will minimize faculty and student conflicts (see Sunday schedule below) and spread the make-up sessions throughout the second half of the semester
2. Using technology (Blackboard) as a teaching tool so that faculty and students can make up class work without having to meet in-person
Colleges may also develop unique solutions to make-up classes as long as they do not create conflicting schedules for their students.
· Engineering and Science faculty teaching labs should consult with their Department Chairs as to scheduling make-up classes on the Sundays listed below
· Nursing faculty teaching clinical classes should consult with the Dr. Arcamone as to scheduling make-up classes
· We ask all other faculty to choose the best of the two options listed above for their courses
If faculty members choose to schedule an in-person class following the Sunday schedule below, they must use the same time period as their regular class time in order to avoid creating a conflict with other courses.
Because the University has scheduled some classrooms for internal and external events on weekends, make-up classes scheduled for Sunday may not be able to meet in the same classroom as the regularly scheduled class. Faculty should use the classroom reservation system in MyNOVA to find and reserve a classroom available at their time period. Here is a link to make a reservation:
Faculty needing assistance to use the classroom reservation system may seek help from the staff in their Department offices. We have also attached instructions as to how to use the classroom reservation system.
In keeping with the spirit of flexibility, faculty should not impose penalties on students who cannot attend the make-up classes. Students must notify the faculty member in advance if they will miss a make-up class and explain the reason for their absence.
We encourage everyone to work together to manage this problem in a spirit of cooperation and patience.
Never thought I'd see that.Sunday ScheduleWe have excluded Sundays before and after Spring Break and Easter Sunday.
February 23 replaces Tuesday, January 21
March 16 replaces Wednesday, January 22
March 23 replaces Monday, February 3
March 30 replaces Thursday, February 6
April 6 replaces Wednesday, February 5
April 13 replaces Friday, February 7
April 27 replaces Thursday, February 13 (if the university closes on February 13)
If there are additional weather-related cancelled classes, we will use Friday, May 2 (Reading Day) as a make-up day.
Finally the deadline to WX a course will be extended to Monday, April 14.